2009 Press Releases
Chicago Trade Shows Featured a Wealth of Information and Products in the Organic, Health & Wellness, Ethnic and Specialty Sectors
Press Release Contact: Crescendo Communications
For Immediate Release Lisa Bell, email@example.com
PORTLAND, ME. (June 23, 2009) — The 2009 All Things Organic™, Expo Comida Latina and All Asia Food trade shows, which also featured a focus on specialty food and health and wellness products and education, took place June 16-18, 2009, in Chicago, IL, at the Lakeside Center at McCormick Place. Thousands of retail buyers and industry professionals explored more than 400 booths of organic, ethnic, health & wellness and specialty products. Attendees also had the opportunity to attend 50+ hours of organic and health & wellness education.
Highlights from the show included:
- During an All Things Organic™ keynote presentation, USDA Deputy Secretary Kathleen Merrigan announced that an equivalency agreement has been reached between the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). As a result of the historic equivalency agreement, signed by government officials at the Chicago show, certified organic products as of July 1 can continue to move freely across the U.S. and Canadian border provided they use the new Canada Organic Biologique label or the USDA Organic seal.
- Findings from the 2009 U.S. Families’ Organic Attitudes and Beliefs Study, jointly sponsored by the Organic Trade Association (OTA) and KIWI Magazine were released during the show, indicating that despite tough economic times, U.S. families are not giving up their purchases of organic products. In fact, nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of U.S. families buy organic products at least occasionally, chiefly for health reasons, according to the study.
- The first All Things Organic™ New Products Competition took place during the show and winners were announced. The New Organic Product Grand Award was given to Bethel Organics Inc. for its Real Organic Real Easy Seed Starting Kit.
- The People’s Choice Awards for the best New Spirits, Wine & Beer were also held on the show floor. The winners were:
- Spirits: Koval Inc – Organic Ginger Liqueur; narrowly beating its own Rose Hip Liqueur
- Beer: Merchant du Vin - Samuel Smith Organic Lager
- Red Wine: Frey Vineyards - Frey Organic Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 No Sulfites
- White Wine: Frey Vineyards - Frey Organic Chardonnay 2007 No Sulfites
- Celebrity chefs heated up the show floor with their cooking demonstrations:
- The All Things Organic™ Conference, presented by the Organic Trade Association, and the new Health & Wellness Education Program, presented by partnership with Progressive Grocer Magazine and Nielsen Business Media, focused on consumer trends, exclusive research and retail trends in the organic and wellness sectors.
- Organic regulations and certification for personal care products was a topic of discussion on the final day of the All Things Organic™ Conference, with a productive moderated forum bringing together many Organic Trade Association members involved in this important sector.
The Organic Trade Association (OTA)
OTA is the membership-based business association for organic agriculture and products in North America. OTA's mission is to promote and protect the growth of organic trade to benefit the environment, farmers, the public, and the economy. One hundred percent of all revenue OTA receives from All Things Organic™ is reinvested in programs that support the organic business community (www.ota.com).
Diversified Business Communications (DBC)
Diversified Business Communication provides information and market access through trade exhibitions, magazine publishing, and online resources on five continents. In addition to serving the natural products/organic market, DBC offers more than 80 face-to-face buying and selling opportunities and conference programs. These serve a broad spectrum of markets, from food to fitness, healthcare, business management, construction, manufacturing, investments, and franchising (www.divbusiness.com).
Progressive Grocer has been the voice of the food retail industry for over 85 years, serving top management at headquarters and top decision-makers at store level. Progressive Grocer is published by Nielsen Business Media, a part of The Nielsen Company, a global information and media company (www.progressivegrocer.com).
The Nielsen Company
The Nielsen Company is a global information and media company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, trade shows, and business publications (Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, Adweek). The privately held company is active in more than 100 countries, with headquarters in New York, USA (www.nielsen.com)